Space heater cause of fire in Mason City last week

MASON CITY — A space heater is being blamed as the cause of a recent fire in Mason City.

The Mason City Fire Department released information on Tuesday after being dispatched at about 6:25 AM on March 7th to the report of smoke coming from a garage at 18 ½ 13th Street Northeast. On arrival, smoke was showing from the eaves of the structure, with firefighters accessing the building and quickly extinguishing the fire while searching for possible victims. Nobody was inside the structure and no injuries were reported.

The fire was contained to the parts and tool room with extension of the fire into the attic space above the room. There was smoke damage to the building with the fire appearing to be accidental and caused by a space heater.

The property is owned by June Newman of Mason City. The estimated loss to the property and contents was $18,000.