Tuesday September 24th Local Sports
AM-1300 KGLO — Twins at Boston — pre-game 5:30, first pitch 6:10
DES MOINES — The pre-season Radio Iowa sports broadcasters high school football poll is out with the first games of the season taking place this Friday night:
1. Southeast Polk vs #2 Dowling Catholic
2. Dowling Catholic @ #1 S.E. Polk
3. Cedar Falls @ #10 Johnston
4. Pleasant Valley @ CR Prairie
5. Ankeny vs Waukee
6. WDM Valley vs Waukee Northwest
7. Bettendorf vs Urbandale
8. Cedar Rapids Kennedy @ #9 Iowa City West
9. Iowa City West vs #8 Kennedy
10.Johnston vs #3 Cedar Falls
1. North Scott vs Davenport North
2. Lewis Central @ 3A #2 Harlan
3. Cedar Rapids Xavier @ 3A #1 West Delaware
4. Webster City vs 3A #8 Humboldt
5. Pella @ #10 Norwalk
6. Decorah @ Crestwood
7. Glenwood @ Atlantic
8. Fort Dodge vs Mason City
9. Indianola vs Ankeny Centennial
10.Norwalk vs #5 Pella
1. West Delaware vs 4A #3 Xavier
2. Harlan vs 4A #2 Lewis Central
3. Davenport Assumption @ Rock Island Alleman
4. Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley vs 2A #1 Central Lyon/GLR
5. Sergeant Bluff-Luton vs LeMars
6. Solon vs West Liberty
7. Ballard (Huxley) @ Bondurant-Farrar
8. Humboldt @ 4A #4 Webster City
9. Sioux Center vs Sheldon
10.Gilbert @ Adel (ADM)
1. Central Lyon/GLR @ 3A #4 Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley
2. Waukon vs Waverly-Shell Rock
3. Williamsburg @ 1A #3 Iowa City Regina
4. West Lyon vs 1A #9 Western Christian
5. PCM (Monroe) vs Davis County
6. West Marshall @ South Tama
7. Southeast Valley vs Interstate-35
8. Clear Lake vs Iowa Falls
9. Estherville Lincoln Central @ Storm Lake
10.Camanche vs Dyersville Beckman
1. Van Meter vs Earlham
2. West Sioux @ A #9 HMS (Hartley)
3. Iowa City Regina vs 2A #3 Williamsburg
4. Underwood vs Tri-Center
5. Waterloo Columbus vs Dike-New Hartford
6. South Central Calhoun @ East Sac County
7. MFL MarMac vs New Hampton
8. Pella Christian @ DSM Christian
9. Western Christian @ 2A #4 West Lyon
10.Cascade @ Monticello
1. Grundy Center vs South Hardin
2. Council Bluffs St. Albert @ Treynor
3. West Hancock @ Garner-Hayfield-Ventura
4. Logan-Magnolia vs Carroll Kuemper
5. Saint Ansgar vs Osage
6. Lisbon vs West Branch
7. Mason City Newman vs Central Springs
8. Bellevue @ Northeast
9. HMS (Hartley) vs 1A #2 West Sioux
10.Mount Ayr @ Nodaway Valley
1. Don Bosco @ #7 Easton Valley
2. Montezuma (1-0) @ HLV
3. CAM (Anita) @ #9 Fremont-Mills
4. Audubon @ S.E. Warren
5. Remsen St. Mary’s vs Harris-Lake Park
6. Newell-Fonda vs West Bend-Mallard
7. Easton Valley vs #1 Don Bosco
8. Janesville @ Meskwaki
9. Fremont-Mills vs #3 CAM
10.Kingsley-Pierson vs GTRA
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) — The Big Ten is the latest Power Five conference to announce that a team must forfeit if it doesn’t have enough players available for a league game because of COVID-19. The Big Ten said the team that forfeits will be assessed a loss in the conference standings and its opponent will be credited with a win. If both teams are unable to compete on the date of a scheduled conference game because of COVID-19, and the game can’t be rescheduled, it will be considered a no contest. The Power Five conferences appear headed toward having similar forfeit policies.
IOWA CITY — Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum says he is focused on improvement and not individual accolades heading into the season. A finalist for the Rimington Trophy last year, Linderbaum has been named an AP preseason first team All-American.
Linderbaum says it was an easy decision to return to Iowa and not enter the NFL Draft.
Linderbaum says new offensive line coach George Barnett has been focused on consistency.
The Hawkeyes open at home on September 4th against Indiana.
AMES — Tight end play has been a big part of the rise of the Iowa State football program and that position group figures to be strong once again. Cyclone tight ends led the nation with 82 receptions a year ago and Charlie Kolar says with so many teams playing without a tight end on the field it gives them an advantage.
Kolar says Matt Campbell’s use of the tight end was a big factor in him coming to ISU.
Iowa State will open the season ranked seventh and Kolar believes the Cyclones have the right amount of confidence.
Senior Chase Allen says the use of tight ends helps the offense use multiple looks.
Allen says the tight ends need to be versatile in their play.
Allen says the tight ends also have to be good in the run game.
ISU opens September 4th at home against UNI.