Fire leads to Clear Lake hotel being evacuated for a short time

CLEAR LAKE — A fire at a Clear Lake hotel on Saturday afternoon led to occupants being temporarily evacuated.

The Clear Lake Fire Department says they were called at about 12:19 PM to an automatic fire alarm at the Fairfield Inn at 1401 Bayou Road. Moments later, employees reported a fire in a trash container on a housekeeping custodial cart in a second floor hallway.

Firefighters on arrival found that the trash container was located directly under a fire system sprinkler which had put out the fire prior to their arrival. The crew worked to check if the fire had extended into the ceiling and to clear the second floor of smoke. Once cleared, the hotel staff and guests were allowed to return inside.

The Fire Department estimated the smoke and water damage to be at about $5000. The fire remains under investigation.